The Rock Church commissioned the Schrag family as their extended family in 1990 to work in northwest DR Congo with Wycliffe Bible Translators. They spent three years beginning a project to help the approximately 75,000 Mono speakers translate the Bible into their language. Through twists and turns that only God foresaw, they worked in France, Cameroon, Central African Republic, and Los Angeles, where Brian received a PhD in ethnomusicology from UCLA.
- Regional Director, Congo Basin
- Manages a team of 6 who help African Bible Translation organizations succeed and manage over 100 translation projects and 50 internships.
- Senior Ethnoarts Coordinator
- Training next generations and encouraging the world-wide church to respect and include traditional arts and artists in their lives
- Real Heaven promoter
Mono New Testament
Brian & Barb helped start project 1991, New Testament. Dedicated 2022.
- Patience with our aging bodies and minds
- Preparing for and moving to Ohio
- All our familie’s big events this year
- Brian: Finish 2nd edition of Creating Local Arts Together
- Barb: Manage her team well, stamina for trips to Africa
- Mono community: God to change their lives as they read, sing, dance, and listen to the Scripture in their language
- Brian reducing work load because of Huntington’s Disease
A word from Brian:
“Here are a few of the great things we see God doing:
Mono churches have integrated Scripture songs played on a local harp, the kundi, into their normal lives.
* The Mono translation team—composed only of Mono people now—is on track to complete the New Testament in 2013 or 2014.
* Mono churches have integrated Scripture songs played on a local harp, the kundi, into their normal lives. This results directly from Brian’s work with the church there. Rev. Gaspard Yalemoto, director of the translation team, gives this testimony:
* Today, in all of the Mono churches, we see a radical change in how Christians live, because God’s message communicated through kundi songs directly touches their hearts. Many declare by their actions that the Spirit has used this to bring them back to the foot of the cross of Jesus Christ.
* Brian has written a book to be published in January 2013: Creating Local Arts Together: A Manual to Help Communities Reach their Kingdom Goals. See this link. Here’s a short online article that will tell you what he’s been thinking about: God Hearts Arts.
The Schrags love the Rock!”